Baseball       Flag Football       Football       Inline Hockey       Hockey      3 on 3 Hockey       Lacrosse       School Sports       Soccer       Ultimate Frisbee       More Sports       Magazine

Cyclones win close round 2 game at OFSSA march 8th, 2011

The St. Christopher Cyclones escaped with a 43-41 victory over Nicholson Catholic College at the OFSSA tournament Tuesday afternoon, scoring only two points in the final quarter while killing off the clock to move on to the next round.

In the first quarter, Joe Rocca put in a quick four points including two free throws, but the Cyclones found themselves down after Nicholson hit a three pointer and put in two under the boards. Martin Popiel would add four of his own including two free throws, while Rocca would add his 6th point of the quarter as the Cyclones lead 14-12 after the first.

In the second quarter Mike Rocca nailed a three pointer to start the quarter while Joe Rocca hit two free throws to extend the lead to 19-15. Rocca would again go back to the free throw line and make two more free throws or a 21-15 lead.

Nicholson comes back with a quick three pointer and the Cyclones almost give up two more quickly on a turnover, but they maintain control. Nicholson comes back with another three to tie the game, but again Joe Rocca find himself at the free throw line and makes 1 free throw.

Eric McDonald puts the Cyclones back up by three with a drive from the outside, but Nicholson makes it a one point game with a long jumper for two. Eric McDonald made the steal at centre and had the easy lay in for two, putting the Cyclones up by three at the half 28-25.

Alex DeCarolis puts down a three pointer to start the second half, but Nicholson quickly follows with a three of their own to make it a 31-28 game. McDonald would drive and get a pass from Popiel for another two on a lay in. Nicholson again comes back and knocks down a long two pointer. Joe Rocca then hits a three pointer to put the Cyclones up 36-30. Zac Lippiatt would make it an 8 point game with a rebound put back for two, making it 38-30 through four minutes of the second half.

Nicholson would start the second part of the quarter nailing three, three pointers to cut the lead to just one, 40-39. The Cyclones would hold on to the lead after the third quarter, but only by a slim two point margin, 41-39.

In the fourth, the Cyclones kept the ball up near half court, killing two minutes off the clock before turning the ball over. Lippiatt would get a huge block in the paint to keep the Cyclones up by two, and back down the floor St. Chris would again kill time off the clock. With half the quarter gone, the score still remained 41-39, and again the Cyclones would turn the ball over on a miss pass.

Of an inbounds Nicholson would tie the game with a jumper off the glass to tie the game at 41-41. The Cyclones would take the clock all the way down to eleven seconds remaining and called a timeout.  Eric McDonald would get the chance on the drive but is fouled. He would make make both free throws with only 1.1 seconds remaining. Nicholson could not get a shot off on the inbounds and the Cyclones will move on to the next round with a 43-41 victory.

The Cyclones will now take on the winner of Loyalist and St. Thomas Aquinas at 8:48pm Tuesday night.


Follow Sarniasports on twitter @sarniasports. Get up to the minute news, and live scores

as they happen from local events.





                                                                                                                          1999 - 2010 - All rights reserved                                                   About Us       Contact       Jobs